Here's a quiz for all you bookworms. Each sentence below is the first line from a famous book. Any self-respecting M should know at least half of them...
- Call me Ishmael.
- Rosemary and Guy Woodhouse had signed a lease on a five-room apartment in a geometric white house on First Avenus.
- You don't know about me, without you have read a book by the name of "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer", but that ain't no matter.
- Every time he drove through Yorkville, Rosenbaum got angry, just on general principles.
- It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.
- Marley was dead, to begin with.
- On May 7, 1931, New York City witnessed the most sensational man-hunt the old town had ever known.
- What can you say about a twenty-five-year-old girl who died?
- It is cold at 6:40 in the morning of a March day in Paris and seems even colder to a man about to be executed by firing squad.
- The great fish moved silently through the night water, propelled by short sweeps of its crescent tail, the mouth open just enough to permit a rush of water over the gills.
From the July 1980 Braegen. Answers in the August edition!
Southeast Michigan Mensa (SEMM) is having a Virtual RG, and you're invited to attend!
SEMMantics 42: The Answer to Everything is Saturday, February 20, 2021 via Zoom. Join us from the comfort of your home for our first ever virtual Regional Gathering!
This is a members only one day event, and it's free.
There are three tracks to pick from: Hospitality, Fun and Games, and Speakers. You can register for them all or pick the ones you want to attend.
Our Keynote speaker is Mensa favorite, Richard Lederer!
Register at: https://tinyurl.com/SEMMantics42registration2021
Hope to see you then!
Toby Berger and Jenny Deason Copeland, SEMMantics 42 co-Chairs
What is Mensa?
Wikipedia's entry is a decent overview...
The Goals of Mensa
- Identify and foster human intelligence for the benefit of humanity.
- Encourage research in the nature, characteristics and uses of intelligence.
- Promote stimulating intellectual and social opportunities for members.
How do I join Mensa?
It's simple: achieve a score on a standardized intelligence test at or above the 98th percentile. You can submit prior evidence from nearly 200 tests (like the SAT or Cattell) or take the Mensa Admissions Test. See Testing Dates in the main menu.
The Mensa Foundation Scholarship Program awards more than $150,000 in assistance every year to college bound students around the globe, based upon an application and an essay. East Central Ohio Mensa participates in this program and awards the Karl J. Roden Memorial Scholarship through the Akron Community Foundation. Apply at mensafoundation.org/scholarships from September 15 to January 15 for awards for the Fall 2021 academic year.
East Central Ohio Mensa (ECOM) is a chapter of American Mensa Limited, headquartered in Arlington, Texas, US.
American Mensa is a national Mensa organization affiliated with the global Mensa International Ltd.
American Mensa has around 55,000 members. Mensa International has over 150,000 members in 50 national groups.
Our chapter has about three hundred twenty members residing in the following fourteen counties in east central Ohio: Ashland, Carroll, Columbiana, Crawford, Holmes, Mahoning, Medina, Portage, Richland, Stark, Summit, Trumbull, Tuscarawas, and Wayne. For more information, select About ECOM from the Main Menu.
ECOM on Facebook
The Mensa Hamburger Review Board MHRB on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter:
Local and national Mensa offer college scholarship awards based on essay competition. Applicants need not be Mensa members, and the awards are based solely on meeting the application form requirements and the essay.
The Mensa Education & Research Foundation (MERF) is a non-profit organization committed to the pursuit of excellence in the areas of intelligence. Click HERE for more info about MERF scholarships.
ECOM sponsors its own college scholarship award each year, too. Residents and students in the ECOM 14-county area (see above) are eligible to apply. Further details about the Karl J. Roden Memorial Scholarship to come -- use the MERF Scholarships link above to apply online from September 15th through January 15th each year.
ECOM's annual Fall scholarship fund-raiser is great fun and reputed to be one of the best in the country. There's also a year-round on-line book sale to support the scholarship.
In place of our usual annual scholarship auction, we are holding a 50/50 raffle. Raffle will run from now until 12/15/2020, and tickets can be purchased at:
25 tickets for $20
100 tickets for $50
300 tickets for $100
50% goes to the Scholarship fund, 50% goes back to ticket holders. The 50% will be split 30% to the winner, 15% to second place, and 5% to third place, if the pot goes over $500!